Tuesday 13 May 2014

Priley Riley, Preparing for and making a plastic mould for my ice sculpture, 8th- 13th May 2014


I finished preparing my cast and the MDF board for the cast to go onto today- this stage is shown in the photo above. I then put the board and cast into a vacuum forming machine, which heats up a plastic sheet until it is soft. The plastic is then sucked around the cast, maintaining the cast’s shape, and the two are then separated. Although it was difficult to separate them, I was very happy that when they did separate both the cast and plastic mould were undamaged. Tomorrow I will fill the plastic mould (shown below) with water and place a real lamb’s heart inside, and this will be left in a freezer overnight. Once frozen, I will separate the plastic mould from the ice sculpture.


No comments:

Post a Comment