Sunday 25 May 2014

Priley Riley, The heart (continued), 21st- 25th May 2014





Since my last post I have been thinking about incorporating text into my work on the heart. I started off doing quick watercolour paintings of the heart from memory and I wondered if I could paint the heart using the word heart itself, shown in the top photo. I painted different words in the shape of a heart but I found that the word heart worked best as the outside shape looked most like that of a heart and I liked how the diagonal part of the letter ‘A’ looked like the coronary blood vessels that go across the heart. I decided to develop this in my next piece by painting a hand around the heart with a contrasting green background, shown in the second photo. I then thought about adding writing that is more meaningful, and so I thought about how the image of the heart typically represents love. I sewed the word love over work on the heart, such as the piece shown in the third photo, which I also used drawing ink and watercolour paint for. I then thought back to the dissected hearts and how this image could represent the heart being broken, which inspired me to do the piece shown in the final photo. I kept the art fairly simple to emphasize the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment