Friday 21 March 2014

Priley Riley, Hand cast and an update on the chest cast, 21st March 2014




I have been working on the cast of my chest today to make a positive cast from it. I did this by scrubbing soft soap into the original cast and cleaning this off before adding layers of oil to it that were also removed afterwards. I then mixed water and fine casting plaster together before dipping hemp mesh into this and applying it to the inside of my cast. I built up 3 layers of the hemp mesh before leaving it to dry for the weekend. The cast that I made today using the plaster and hemp mesh will be separated from the original cast next week. It is difficult to get the two to separate; the soap and oil that I rubbed into the cast to start off with will help with the separation, but it can’t guarantee that one of the casts won’t get damaged in the process. If this did happen, I would start the process again with another body cast, but hopefully the two will separate without problems.

As I had to leave the chest cast to dry I made a cast of my hands today as well. I made the cast using dyed green wax, shown in the top photo. The finger tips were then pierced with wire so that when I poured a mixture of water and fine casting plaster into the wax cast the air wouldn’t get trapped inside and stop the mixture from reaching the finger tips. This does mean that there are small holes in the cast’s finger nails but overall I am happy with the cast as it’s so detailed that even the texture of the skin and a vein can be seen. The two photos of it show different sides of the same cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment