Saturday 8 March 2014

Priley Riley, Considering how to create an ice sculpture from a mould

Over the next few weeks I will be posting less on my Blog as I will be researching, experimenting and eventually producing a completed ice sculpture. My tutor said that in his 34 years working for the university no one has ever tried making an ice sculpture from a mould, but in theory it could work. I want the ice sculpture to be of the figure as I have been working on portraiture this semester, and to get a mould of the figure I will cast part of a volunteer’s body. The process will require a considerable amount of research as the only way that I could make a mould would be to use fibreglass- any other material would crack the mould as the ice froze and expanded inside it. I also want my finished ice sculpture to be clear and to contain an object. For this reason I am interested in casting the chest area, making a fibreglass mould from this, and using the mould to cast an ice sculpture with a heart frozen inside- either a real animal heart or one that I could make. Before I do this however, I will need to experiment with freezing water to see how clear it is; if air bubbles form the heart would not be seen. I will also need to consider other questions such as how I could freeze the heart exactly where I wanted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment