Saturday 23 November 2013

Priley Riley, Paper vs canvas for ink drawings, November 2013



I was using drawing ink in my sketchbook to depict Loughborough canal, but wondered what it would be like to draw onto a different surface using the same media. I decided to experiment with ink on canvas. I found it more challenging drawing onto canvas because the rough surface meant that the ink didn’t flow as well. It also caused the drawing ink pen to get stuck occasionally, flicking small dots of ink over my work. However, the canvas did have some positive aspects; the material allowed me to dab or wipe damp tissue over the ink to create the water and tree affects, whereas using this technique in my sketchbook only damaged the paper. I also think that the drawing on canvas looks more like a final piece of work than the drawing on paper does.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment